Spokane Divorce, Family & Employment Lawyer FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

You needn’t have lived in Washington for any particular length of time before filing for divorce. As long as you’re a resident by the time you file, your divorce can proceed.

Washington is a “no-fault” state, meaning that neither party is required to give a reason for why she or he would like to terminate the marriage.

Washington is a “community property” state, meaning that any property acquired during the course of the marriage will be divided as equitably as possible upon divorce.

Washington parents seeking to modify a parenting plan will need to file a Petition for Modification of Adjustment of Child Custody Decree/Parenting Plan, as well as a Summons, which informs the non-moving parent that a modification has been requested.

“Adequate cause” hearings provide the moving parent with an opportunity to demonstrate a sufficient reason for their wanting to modify a parenting plan.

A hostile work environment is one in which pervasive harassment and/or discrimination continues unabated, ultimately preventing one or more employees from successfully doing their job.

“At-will” employment means that an employer can fire an employee at any time and for any reason without being held legally liable for their actions.

Washington state employers are prohibited from discriminating against anyone on the basis of age, sex, race, religion or national origin.

No. In the state of Washington, only public employees are protected by the Whistleblower Program.

FMLA can help your family by allowing you or a loved one to take up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave. You may be eligible for FMLA if you suffer from a chronic illness or injury, or if someone in your family requires consistent medical attention i.e. an injured child, an ill spouse, etc.).

Stanley A. Kempner Jr. Attorney at Law is committed to helping Spokane residents struggling with family and employment law issues. Call (509) 484-1104 now to get started.